Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Assalamu Aleikum

May Peace Be Upon You,

I should have begun my first post with a little information on how my structure will work. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure right now. However, a guide to my first post goes as follows:

I am a Muslim, and as one, I greet every person who understands the phrase "May Peace Be Upon You", in arabic, with "Assalamu Aleikum." When translated into English, it sounds a little weird, but I would like you to know that this greeting is used by over 1.5 billion people worldwide. When two or more people are parting after a conversation, one person initiates with "Assalamu Aleikum" (May Peace Be Upon You) while the others reply with "Wa-Aleikum Assalam" (And May Peace Be Upon You). 

For the purpose of this blog, however, I'll try to use the english translation so as to not alienate anyone who wishes to fully understand my blog. I use the phrase, not only because it's the custom of my deen ("way of life", in arabic), but I truly believe it to be a kind gesture to others. Though I'll be using the english translation, as a matter of style, I may begin using the arabic transliteration in the future, once I find out which of my friends begin reading this.

May Peace Be With You.

No comments: